Monday, April 22, 2019

Week 67-Entebbe with Elder Budu


Overall, it's been a super good week here-
Tuesday, we had zone conference and the departing testimonies for the missionaries going home was the best and the worst part of the meeting. It was the best because I've got a pretty good relationship with quite a few of the guys going home and it was amazing to hear their testimonies and be able to see how they've grown spiritually. Budu especially gave a great testimony. It was the worst because a few of the guys were more focused on trying to look like spiritual Giants and just loved their minute of Fame. Those guys gave like a 20-minute talks instead of a testimony. So, I got a headache from that because it took so long but I survived. My favorite take away from zone conference was about how we as missionaries are in a position to have such a positive influence on our families, and we talked about more ways we could benefit our loved ones at home. On the way home I sat next to this cool guy named Ronnie on the taxi and had an awesome conversation with him. He works in the finance industry here in Uganda and is doing really well for himself. We talked about all kinds of things from work and family stuff to religion. It was awesome and I got to share the things that make the gospel so special to me.  
Wednesday we had DDM and it was focused on the stuff from zone conference mostly. After that I went with woodland so he could get a haircut from this Indian guy. Forgot to tell you last week while I was cutting his hair his clippers exploded! It was because the outlet he used was NOT for clippers. I think I'm going to retire from cosmetology... Afterwards we got some local food and hung out with those guys from Kajansi for a while. 
Thursday, I had something super awesome happen. Elvis Katerega got in touch with me to tell me he is just a couple days away from submitting his mission papers. I am so excited for him. I baptized Elvis about a year ago in Lugazi and have a really great relationship with him. We used to go out to the place he worked so we could teach him and sometimes we couldn't get a taxi back, so it was like a 4 hour walk! Teaching him and getting to know him was one of the highlights of my mission. He was really spiritually prepared for the gospel. 
Friday, we had book of Mormon class and people actually came... To play soccer. It was fine tho, I got a good read in. I’ll share something small from the Book of Mormon that I was thinking about that day. So, in 2nd Nephi 31 it talks all about the Doctrine of Christ and it tells us we need to endure to the end multiple times. It obviously means to endure to the end of our mortal lives, but I was thinking about how in reality there is no end and after this life we're still going to have to go through some degree of progression to become like Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. And then I started thinking about how multiple times the Savior refers to himself as the beginning and the end. I started thinking about how you could apply that to those scriptures that invite us to endure to the end. We need to endure to Christ and continue in our efforts to be like Him until we are like Him. I really loved that, as it encourages us to strive to make progress daily to become like Jesus Christ. 
I think everyone close to me knows I'm obsessed with exercise. I really like bodybuilding and self-improvement and growing and becoming better. I think I'm starting to apply that same mentality to my spirituality. I really love to feel progression and personal improvement in my character. I've realized its equally as tough as physical improvement though. When you want to progress physically you have to look at yourself and really assess your weaknesses and be real with yourself on where you should improve. Just like that to improve on my character I've had to look within myself and be real on where I need to improve by recognizing where I'm weak. It's hard but I love making progress. 
Saturday, I had a stomach bug and slept a lot of the day. I'm fine now. We're still trying to find more people to teach. 
Sunday, we had a great sacrament meeting and had a few investigators there. After we had a nice Easter dinner with the Balajuica family, and you'll meet them in a few months, I think. They are coming to Utah. We had an investigator at dinner with us and then just got to hang out with the family. It was really nice. 
I've loved this week and the opportunity I've had to reflect on Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for us. I think it's appropriate for me to share a little testimony about Him since it's Easter. I've truly come to love Jesus Christ and appreciate so deeply the sacrifice He made on our behalf. Being away from our family and the people I love has been so hard. It's much harder than any physical discomfort. But because of how much I've NOT liked that, it's made me more appreciative that I'll spend eternity with you guys. Really, nothing makes me happier than imagining embracing the savior as he comes again with my loved ones. This has all helped me gain a deeper appreciation for the atonement. I also know I'm so far from perfect. But I do have a desire to be better, and because of that, I'm thankful that I can repent and become better. I love our savior and know without a shadow of a doubt that he lives and loves us. Because of him I have the hope of being with my family for forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment