Sunday, February 17, 2019

Week 56 Mbale, Uganda with Elder Asare




I really missed the watching the Superbowl but I'm pretty happy Tim Brady and the Patriots won. Just so you know, I think you're the best mom in the world and you always have been. I got your package today! Super-duper awesome, especially all the talks. Haven't got to read them yet but I eyeballed them, and they look super good. Monday night we had a really fun family home evening with this family from Kenya, and they have the cutest little 6-year-old boy and he said the best opening prayer. It made me miss home super bad, family home evening is so great to strengthen the home and family.  For the activity we danced, and then had avocado tea. That's a new favorite of mine. It was super great, that family’s neighbors have persecuted them for joining the church so one of the younger girls in the family shared a spiritual thought on the atonement and about how Christ died for more than just our sins, how His Atonement can help us through all the challenges we face in life. Tuesday through Thursday we spent getting all the people we teach ready for baptism, so we had a lot of lessons this week. Thursday morning a member named Gerald made me a dish I'd never tried here, and it's my new favorite. It’s called Amukakay and it's basically boiled sweet potatoes that are sun dried after with a peanut butter tomatoes sauce. I'll totally make it at home, it would probably be good on like yams. The peanut butter is different here, it's all natural. I'm sure we can find some. I bet you guys will love it. It's the only thing here that I really LOVE when it comes to the food.  On Thursday night a girl named Ester who was baptized last week told us about her boyfriend who had been beating her. When he found out she got baptized he beat her severely and told her that if she got confirmed he'd kill her. So, on Friday night we went and visited him, and he was pretty confrontational, but we talked some sense into him. He realized that if it happened again, he was going to have serious problems. It was super awesome, we didn't get a chance to tell Ester about our visit with him, but she came to church to get confirmed despite the threats. I won't lie, life here is hard a lot of the time and it makes me realize how good we have it at home. Friday, we did baptism interviews. Saturday, we had 16 baptisms. Super cool, but the baptism service was chaotic. Sunday was wonderful we had loads of confirmations and got to hear some wonderful testimonies. We have an apostle coming to visit sometime this next transfer and I'm really excited about it. This week I'm hoping to start the new testament study manual, but I'm also loving my Book of Mormon right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment