Sunday, May 20, 2018

Week 18 in Lugazi with Woodland




Hey Mom & Dad! I feel so good, yesterday was much needed for me. It was so good to see you guys. I can't even tell you how good I felt going to bed last night. I was on such an emotional high. It is so weird that I am so far away. I feel like I've grown up a lot. I always thought that saying distance makes the heart grow fonder was BS. Now, I know it's true. I didn't really tell you about my week, so I'll do that really quick. This week kind of crawled by for me since I was looking forward to Mother’s Day so much. We went out to that cafĂ© in the middle of the jungle that opened in my area. It was American food. Legit food. I got a double cheese burger and it was actually cheap for how good the food was. It was the best meal I've had here without a doubt. And then they also baked me the cake that they had been telling me about and it was super good. Then they let me know that they were going to charge me for it after. Nothing like a birthday present you buy for yourself.  It was well worth it though.
 I had a super spiritual experience this Sunday. In Gospel Doctrine I taught a lesson on guarding our lives from Satan’s influence. The spirit was super strong as we talked about standing in holy places literally and spiritually.
I want you guys to know that I’m having a really wonderful time on my mission. I’ve gotten used to the living conditions and the house doesn’t even seem that bad anymore. Honestly the two toughest trials out here are my mattress and my monthly living allotment ($122)  Haha, just kidding-there’s been real trials but I’ve managed okay obviously. I really wish you two could meet some of the people out here. Some of them are hilarious! Also I never imagined that one of the obstacles to baptism would be FEAR of WATER!  Most all Ugandans are afraid of putting their head under water. The one thing I don’t want you to experience is the food. It is so expensive to eat healthy. I guess some things never change. I’ve always been expensive and high maintenance. LOL I thought I’d get super tan out here in the sun. Ya, that’s not happening. I am really grateful for the spiritual growth that I’ve gone through. I’ve learned so much about the gospel and grown to love it more. Mom, I often think about how growing up you would sit out in the hall and read the Book of Mormon every single night. I even remember a few times you fell asleep reading…lol. I’m so grateful you did that. I love to look back and think about those memories.  Dad, thanks for always encouraging me to go to all my meetings and for being such a good example of selflessness. There’s no way I’d be here if it wasn’t for you two. I love you both with all my heart. Love your first born in the wilderness-Dylan


No comments:

Post a Comment